We are currently looking for an experienced professional to fill the role of Health Manager for our organization. This is an exciting opportunity to have a significant impact on the well-being and everyday lives of a First Nation community. Gitsegukla is located on Highway 16, approximately 40 km southwest of Hazelton, BC, and 100kms East of Terrace, BC. This is a professionally and personally rewarding opportunity for someone who wants to make an important difference in people’s lives, while working in a beautiful part of BC.
Key Accountabilities and Scope:
Under the direction of the Band Manager, the Health Manager is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of Gitsegukla health programs and services to serve the needs of the community including: Aboriginal diabetes clinics, dental services, girls group counselling, home and community care, mental health worker, occupational therapy, patient travel, substance misuse meetings, walk-in clinic and women’s group counselling. The Health Manager oversees health department staff and serves as a member of the Health Committee, which reports to Chief and Council.
General areas of responsibility include:
- Program Leadership: Implement health-related goals as established by Chief and Council. Administer and implement all health-related policies and programs adopted by Gitsegukla including. Work to ensure benefits are appropriately administered, and any exceptions are approved. Coordinate and assist health unit staff with daily, weekly, monthly and yearly task for program delivery and services.
- Finance and Administration: Provide an administrative/monitoring function over health programs and service delivery, as well as the day-to-day operations of the Gitsegukla Health Centre. Safeguard health records and maintain the confidentiality of the health practice. Ensure that programs operate within budget allocations
- Operations and Maintenance: Ensure the safe and efficient operation of the Gitsegukla health centre including supply ordering and delivery/receipt, ensuring regular maintenance is performed and as required, coordinate with health professionals to ensure their clinic needs are met.
- Human Resources Management: Perform day-to-day staff management in accordance with Band standards and performance expectations including processing paperwork for timesheets, leave requests, ensuring vital services are covered at all times, dealing with on-call issues, planning holidays and holiday coverage, performing evaluations, and providing regular constructive performance feedback.
- Quality Management: Ensure that all programs and services meet or exceed program objectives. Ensure that Gitsegukla traditions and cultural health approaches are incorporated into all health service delivery. Work to maximize member satisfaction within policy constraints. Stay in close contact with members, families and the community to better appreciate their needs and assess the quality of services provided by the First Nation and Government programs.
- Reporting: Participate in the Gitsegukla Health Committee. Prepare and submit regular reports or forecast, as required, to the Band manager, Chief and Council or other external representatives. Complete all reporting on a timely basis.
- Building Relationship: Maintain excellent working relations and communications with external groups including First Nations Health Authority, First Nations Health Directors Association, First Nations Health Council, Northern Health, and other health professionals. Provide and lead opportunities for staff and other service providers to coordinate services, assist one another, and debrief for constant improvement. Act as the health representative with external stakeholders and government bodies when required.
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in health sciences, hospital administration or public administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of directly related experience in the direct supervision and development of staff involved with health or community services.
- In depth knowledge of First Nation health issues and concerns.
- Knowledge of and experience with relevant health legislation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and as a team player.
- Ability to build effective relationships with community members and external stakeholders.
- High degree of confidentiality.
- Experience with First Nations preferred.
- Valid BC driving license.
- Current criminal record check required and available upon request.
This position is a full-time position. Salary or wages are negotiable based on experience. If you’re a reliable manager with the ability to work under pressure to effectively make an impact on the Community, then this is an exciting opportunity worth exploring. This role will appeal to a self-motivated professional with confidence in their work and exceptional communication skills. If you are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in one of the following ways:
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax at 604.685.8594
Drop off at the Gitsegukla Band Office
By 12am (midnight) on Sunday, April 16, 2017.
Please note only candidates considered for the interview process will be contacted.