GITSEGUKLA HEADSTART MISSION STATEMENT
At Gitsegukla Headstart our mission is to create a community-based, safe, and traditional environment for children ages three and four years old. Our goal is to work in partnership with you, to ensure that your child’s first interactions with others will be meaningful and fun. Our curriculum will nurture the social, intellectual, language, physical, emotional, cultural, and spiritual development of each child.
GITSEGUKLA HEADSTART OBJECTIVES STATEMENT
- To develop a family-based, high quality, culturally rich, holistic, safe and responsive early childhood education for children beginning at the age of 3.
- Our program will be flexible, accessible, integrated and accountable to the community.
- To encourage a strong community and help build healthy family and children partnerships.
- To encourage families and the community to unite in the teaching and nurturing of young children.
- To provide services so that each child can reach his/her optimal potential within the school and community in relation to child development, early literacy, early intervention, health promotion, and early childhood education.
- To act as an advocate, resource and service provider to the families of Gitsegukla.
- To provide the Headstart with pre-school programs for children 3 and 4 years of age.
GITSEGUKLA HEADSTART PHILOSOPHY
It is important to us to create an environment where all children can be successful.
- PLAY is the key for children to be able to grow into self-confident, capable adults.
- The Headstart staff believes in the value of play. Children learn best when they are exploring materials freely and interacting with their peers in a safe and supervised setting. Every child is encouraged to learn at their own pace through exploration and discovery. Through play: children learn about the wonder of discovery, about making mistakes, predicting and understanding consequences, and making independent choices. If your child is successful in their first social interactions they will go on to be successful in school. We want all the children to be successful learners!